This blog will be a real treat, no pun intended 🙂
As a huge advocate for healthy eating, I have chosen to share with you my favorite protein treat! This is an easy, no-bake dessert. In fact, this can not only be a dessert, but a snack when you’re craving something sweet! As someone with the largest sweet tooth in my family, I would normally have ice cream in my freezer, or cookie dough ready to make cookies. These desserts, depending on the brand, aren’t too high in protein, and aren’t that healthy for you. So, with that being said, I will now give you the recipe for one of the most amazing treats you can make right at home. Bad news, this is not a recipe I created on my own. Good news, you may already have some of these ingredients in your cabinets! Other news: A lot of people know of these treats, but not all know how to make them!
Introducing to you, perhaps for the first time: Energy Bites!
They are made up of only 6 ingredients, one of which are optional:
Grab your measuring cups and spoons, and write this recipe down!
1. 1 cup of steel cut oats. I use Quaker Oats!
2. 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips. You can find these in the baking isle at any grocery store. I use mini because they are smaller and more chocolate can be distributed in each energy bite than using the bigger chips, plus they are so cute! 🙂
3. 1/2 cup peanut butter. This can be sticky! I advise using creamy peanut butter, or even almond butter. Almond butter is a tad bit more flexible to work with than regular peanut butter, but the choice is totally up to you!
4. Measure out 1/2 cup of flaxseed. Now this is the ingredient that is optional. Flaxseed is very good for you, however this particular ingredient will not change the taste of your energy bite.
5. Measure out 1/3 cup of honey! Any honey is fine. Side note: There was a time I was out of honey and I used sugarfree syrup. The taste is different, but delicious nonetheless!
6. 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
**Upon measuring out these ingredients, mix all into a medium size mixing bowl. Now comes the ball making! I use my extra virgin olive oil spray that I use in my everyday cooking. I spray my hands, grab a small amount of the mixed ingredients, and roll until it is the size of a golf ball. Use any type of tupper ware or even a bowl to put them in. I repeat until the mixing bowl is empty.**
YOU’RE DONE! ENJOY! You can put the rest in the fridge until later! Do not leave out or they will not taste as great!